Saturday, February 23, 2013

Sew: Gingham Tuxedo Dress - Unleashing Hidden Potential



 The moment I saw this dress, I knew it had good bones. It simply needed someone to unleash its hidden potential. Some black to outline its best features and little red to make things pop. I purchased the shy, demure thing from Etsy for $14 knowing good and well that I was going to alter its personality. And so I did.

But it unleashed my hidden potential, too. It made me want to try my hand at sewing – a feat I never thought I had the patience to do. I was encouraged by the fact that I could take something and make it my own, so I challenged myself to make 3 new dresses this year.

When I was in high school, I would sketch different outfits all the time. I would take my J. Crew catalog and learn about wool crepe, a-line skirts and waffle henleys. My designing  dreams abruptly came to an end after making a blue velvet dress in home economics class that had a close resemblance to the Gordon Gartrell shirt that Denise Huxtable sewed for Theo on “The Cosby Show.” Now 18 years later, I’m trying again. Like my favorite George Eliot quote goes,

“It’s never too late to be what you might have been.




No comments:

Post a Comment