Sunday, June 30, 2013

To Make: An Inexpensive Felt Pillow

felt pillowEveryone has seen those cute felt pillows with the sayings on them. I've been wanting one for a while. However, I simply cannot spend enough money on a plush object to equal a concert ticket.

Why not try to make one you ask? Because I can’t cut straight to save my life – an affliction I’ve suffered since kindergarten. To help me with this, I picked up some alphabet letters from the craft store to give this pillow thing a shot. You know the ones teachers use for their bulletin boards. (Ah, decorating bulletin boards. I’d always volunteer to do that in class.)

I chose the saying “Make Waves" to go with my beachy living room. 

For this project I used:
Felt Fabric
Black Sharpie
Alphabet Letters
Interfacing
Fabric Adhesive
Cotton Fabric
Pillow Insert



  1. Trace the outline of the letter onto felt using Sharpie and cut out the felt letters.
  2. Go over the black outline again with the Sharpie, so the letters will stand out better against your background. Be careful about getting the marker on your fingers because it can transfer to the felt.
  3. Iron the felt letters onto the fabric adhesive and cut of the excess.

  1. Make a wave pattern on the interfacing and cut out.


  1. Iron the interfacing onto the top of the cotton fabric for the front of the pillow. Then iron the letters on top of the interfacing. The front of the pillow is done.


  1. Make an insert pillow cover by sewing two overlapping back pieces to the top and bottom of the front piece. Then sew up the sides.

  1. Insert pillow and done.





No comments:

Post a Comment