Monday, June 24, 2013

To Do: Drawing vs. Buying



I'm going to file this one under look for opportunities as I'm always looking for ways to save money on project ideas. It all started when I bought a new rug from West Elm. I thought it made my place look a bit more stylish, so I started thinking of other ways to spruce up my room(s). Yes, I added a "s" because once you start in one place, the need for decorating spreads quickly to all the others.

My original idea was to buy a vintage swimsuit and frame it on the wall. But when you start searching the internet for vintage suits, you find that they can be quite pricey along with the frame, too. Then I thought of swim prints. After looking at various photos, it occurred to me that maybe I should try my hand at drawing.

Drawing something yourself means the labor is free. And I like free. It also means I can customize the look and color to match my taste and my living room.  I used photos of my favorite suits on the internet as my inspiration, sketched them up, colored them in with pencil and used marker for greater definition. Afterwards, I hung them up on the wall without frames because it felt more carefree. Now the place is a bit more summery.

One project done, more to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment