Sunday, March 17, 2013

To Sew: The In Bloom Spring Dress

In Bloom dress - m3000

I flipped right past the page of this dress in the catalog. In fact, I never would have picked out McCall's 6460 pattern if I didn't see an example of a dress on Sertyan's Sewing Corner blog. It was only then could I imagine how I could make the heart-shaped front dress look flattering on me.


While picking out a pattern that works with your body shape is 1a, picking out the right color of fabric has to be 1b. Creamy beige lace (found in remnants pile), green seersucker (also found in remnants pile) and yellow with hot pink heart tulips in words may not sound so great, but when combined in fabrics, works out wonderfully. 

In Bloom Dress - m3000


Photos of Origami flowers inspired the making of the flower (out of a piece of fat quarter fabric) with the white pearl button in the center. The polka dot belt is a thrift store find that I knew would come in handy one day.

What influences me:

Favorite Style Era: 60's and 40's

Designers I Would Wear If I Was A Millionaire: Tracy Reese, Kate Spade New York, Anna Sui, Marc by Marc Jacobs and Thakoon. However, I would still buy a nice Merona dress from Target.

Style Muse: The cute, little Asian girl who models for J.Crew. I think what would she like to wear as an adult.

What I Would Like My Clothes To Say About Me: I'm Fun!

Secret Wish: To be in one of those "cotton is the fabric of our lives" commercials.

No comments:

Post a Comment